Vortex Rising

Vortex Rising
oil on canvas, 56" x 35"

Memories from my time in Tasmania have come to mind today. Vortex Rising, was a painting I made, based on a photograph I took of seeing my first funnel cloud. Although, this cloud was inland - I took the creative liberty to place it near a body of water.
Interesting to learn that a funnel cloud that moves over or touches down on water is called a waterspout. And that when a funnel cloud touches earth it becomes a tornado and it's spout is the visible core of a vortex.
Vortex - the symbolic and metaphoric meaning and associated ideas are intriguing - landscape, memory, metaphor, life!
William Blake writes about the vortex in his poem, The Nature of Infinity. He begins writing:
'The nature of Infinity is this: That everything has its own Vortex;...'

Comments

Popular Posts